I am an estate planning attorney with the law firm of Hoge Fenton. I serve clients throughout San Francisco, Marin, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Alameda, Contra Costa, and Santa Cruz counties. I work with clients to create estate plans that address each client’s unique needs. I believe that an effective plan addresses both the tax planning aspects of estate planning and the nontax aspects, taking into account the client’s personal values and family dynamics.
I work with clients on fundamental estate planning (wills, revocable living trusts, durable powers of attorney, health care directives) and advanced planning (lifetime gifts of partial interests, grantor retained annuity trusts, “intentionally defective” grantor trusts and other planning techniques).
Many of my clients incorporate philanthropy in their plans. For parents, estate planning is an opportunity to give their children a “charitable inheritance” in addition to assets. For some clients, estate planning is an opportunity to create a legacy – to answer the question, “how is the world different because I passed through it?” Through private family foundations, donor advised funds, and planned gifts, many of my clients have included the community “as a member of the family” in their estate plans.
- Certified by the State Bar of California as a Legal Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law
- Estate planning
- Charitable planning
- Trust administration and probate
- Tax exempt organizations
- Family business succession planning
- State Bar of California, Trusts and Estates Section
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1997
- M.A., University of California at Berkeley, 1991
- B.A., University of California at Berkeley, 1982
- All California state courts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court
- Chen v. Franchise Tax Bd., 75 Cal. App. 4th 1110 (1998) (holding that a taxpayer need only pay the amount of tax assessed, and not interest, to maintain a suit for refund of corporate franchise taxes)
- Chair, Board of Directors, Notre Dame High School San Jose
- Former Member of the Board of Directors, Employment & Community Options (provides employment and housing services to individuals with disabilities in Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, Alameda, San Diego, and San Bernardino Counties)